After you have created a local website in Acquia Dev Desktop, you can host it on Acquia Cloud. Because Acquia Dev Desktop is integrated with Acquia Cloud, you can develop your website locally and synchronize it with the versions on Acquia Cloud, pushing and pulling your code, database, and files in a way that makes the most sense for your workflow.
To host a local Acquia Dev Desktop website on Acquia Cloud:
- Select the local website that you want to host on Acquia Cloud.
- Click Host this site on Acquia Cloud.
- If you have already linked your installation of Acquia Dev Desktop to an Acquia Cloud account, skip to Adding a website to an existing Acquia Cloud subscription.
- If you already have an Acquia Cloud subscription, enter the email address and Acquia Cloud password, and click Log in.
- If you don't have an Acquia Cloud subscription, click the Get one for free link.
For more information about what happens when you click Host this site on Acquia Cloud, see How Acquia Dev Desktop works with Acquia Cloud.
Adding a website to an existing Acquia Cloud subscription
- If you have access to more than one Acquia Cloud subscription, select which subscription you want to add this website to. By default, Acquia Dev Desktop hides subscriptions from which you've already cloned an environment.
- Select the environment to overwrite. An Acquia Cloud site has three environments: dev (Development), stage (Staging), and prod (Production). An Acquia Cloud Free site has two environments: dev (Development) and stage (Staging). In most cases, you should select the Dev environment to overwrite.
- Enter the location of your private key file, and click OK. If you have already connected from Acquia Dev Desktop to Acquia Cloud, Acquia Dev Desktop skips this step.
Communication with your Acquia Cloud site is protected with a private/public key pair. You also need the right role and permissions to sync Acquia Dev Desktop with Acquia Cloud. For more information, see Acquia Cloud credentials and permissions.
Acquia Dev Desktop creates a Drupal site archive and imports it into Acquia Cloud. When it's finished, click Close.
Your website now exists in two locations: locally on your computer in Acquia Dev Desktop, and on Acquia Cloud. You can now work on your website locally and continuously sync it with the version of your site on Acquia Cloud. For more information, see Working with sites on Acquia Cloud.