Which of these URLs do you think your site visitors would rather enter when they're accessing your website:
We think so too.
Use the following steps to associate custom domain names with your websites and site collections hosted on Acquia Cloud Site Factory :
- Obtain a second-level domain name for your website or site collection.
- Point your new domain name to your hosted website.
- Verify your CNAME record (if used).
- Set up email for your domain.
- Reconfigure external font accounts (if used) and complete the process.
If you have more than one custom domain name that you want to add to your hosted website or site collection, use these procedures for each custom domain name. Websites with custom domains count against your subscription's maximum number of websites; for more information on checking your total number of websites with custom domains, see Managing subscription usage.
You can add custom domain names to websites and site collections before you obtain the name from your domain name registrar.
Getting your custom domain
If you haven't already done so, get a second-level domain name for your website or site collection (for example,
You can buy a domain name from a domain name registrar, which is a company or organization that manages domain names under the supervision of ICANN. Domain name registrars control how domain names are managed on the many Internet DNS (Domain Name System) servers. DNS is the system that translates machine-readable computer addresses, such as
126.96.36.199, to memorable addresses, such as
Visit the ICANN website for a list of ICANN-accredited registrars.
Domain name registrar recommendations
Select a domain name registrar based on these recommendations in order to provide the best experience with Acquia Cloud Site Factory to you and your site visitors.
- Choose a domain name registrar that supports the use of CNAME records for domain names.
(A CNAME record tells DNS that the domain name site visitors enter in their browsers is actually an alias of another domain name — in your case, your Acquia Cloud Site Factory-hosted website.)
- Be sure that the domain name registrar you choose offers DNS services.
- Some domain name registrars use objects called iframes to redirect site visitors to existing websites when using the new domain name. Because iframes block several Acquia Cloud Site Factory functions from use (including the ThemeBuilder), you cannot use the iframe redirect method for your new domain name. We recommend that you use CNAME records for your domain names, or at the very least, A Records.
How do I determine if my registrar is using iframes for my website?
Access your website at the new domain URL provided by your registrar, and then view the HTML page source in your browser.
If the page source looks similar to the following, your registrar is using iframes for your website:
<!-- frames -->
<frameset rows="50%,75" border="0" framespacing="0">
<frame name="destframe" src="http://[site URL]" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0">
<frame src="http://example.registrar.com/us?example.com" name="bottom" frameborder="0" scrolling="NO" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" noresize>