Use the following procedure to forward DNS requests to your Acquia Cloud Site Factory website with an A record (address record) that points directly to your website's IP address.
If you use an A record to forward DNS requests for your website to a specific IP address, your website can experience the following issues:
- You can only create A records for top-level domains (not subdomains). For example, you can use an A record to point
example.comto an IP address, but not
www.example.com. Your DNS provider must point the
wwwsubdomain to your Acquia Cloud Site Factory website for you.
- To maintain high availability, Acquia Cloud Site Factory is built on dynamic cloud infrastructure and uses elastic IP addresses to guarantee high availability. Tying your site to a single IP address potentially compromises its high availability.
- If your site is moved from one IP address to another (for maintenance or other technical reasons), your domain forwarding will no longer work until you update it to reflect the new IP address.
- If the Acquia Cloud Site Factory team has to change your site's IP address in a hurry (for emergency fixes, for example), there might not be time to warn you of the change beforehand.
To point your domain name at your website using an A Record:
- On your computer, open a terminal or command prompt window and run the following command to obtain your website's IP address:
[site_name]is your website's name, and
[SF_domain]is the domain name for Acquia Cloud Site Factory.
Note that you're entering the complete Acquia Cloud Site Factory URL for your website.
- Record the IP address displayed by the
- Follow your DNS provider's instructions to set up an A Record pointing your domain name to your website's IP address.
Troubleshooting domain issues
You can add domain names to only one environment. Attempting to add a domain to a second environment causes Acquia Cloud Site Factory to both fail with a logged warning message, and send an email similar to the following to the user who attempted to add the domain:
The following domains could not be added to the
[domain list]. If you wish to add this domain to the
[sitename]site, remove it from the site that has claimed the domain and then add it again at
To resolve the problem, remove the domain name from both environments and then add the domain name to the single, appropriate environment.