CNAME forwarding is the preferred method for connecting a domain name you've already purchased to your website on Acquia Cloud Site Factory.
A CNAME record redirects site visitors from the domain name they entered in their browsers to another domain name — in your case, your website running on Acquia Cloud Site Factory. Using CNAME to point to a website location instead of an actual IP address also allows Acquia Cloud Site Factory to better guarantee high-availability.
To use a CNAME record for your domain name:
- Contact your domain name registrar and learn how to manage your domain name. In most cases, you can access DNS controls by logging in to your domain name registrar's website. Your domain name registrar is your best resource when it comes to managing your domain name on their website.
- Using your domain name registrar's instructions, create the
wwwsubdomain of your domain, as well as any other required subdomains.
Subdomains are addresses based on your second-level domain name, but prefixed with an additional descriptor, such as www or blog. For example, if your domain name is
example.com, you could create
www.example.comalong with any other required subdomains.
- Create a CNAME entry or record to point the complete
wwwsubdomain (as well as separately, any other subdomains) to your website on Acquia Cloud Site Factory.
After you create a CNAME record for your custom domain, you must add your domain to your website on Acquia Cloud Site Factory.
Adding your domain
To add the
www subdomain (and any other subdomains you created for your domain name) to your website:
- Log in to the Site Factory Management Console, find the website to which you want to add a custom domain name, and then open its actions menu.
- Click Manage domains.
- In the Associate a domain section, enter your domain name (such as
- Click Associate domain.
www subdomain directs visitors to your website and all its URLs will be listed.
Because some users won't type the
www when visiting your website, forward your domain name (such as
example.com) to the
www subdomain (
www.example.com) based on your domain name registrar's instructions.
Your website's visitors can then find your website with or without the
Troubleshooting domain issues
You can add domain names to only one environment. Attempting to add a domain to a second environment causes Acquia Cloud Site Factory to both fail with a logged warning message, and send an email similar to the following to the user who attempted to add the domain:
The following domains could not be added to the
[domain list]. If you wish to add this domain to the
[sitename]site, remove it from the site that has claimed the domain and then add it again at
To resolve the problem, remove the domain name from both environments and then add the domain name to the single, appropriate environment.