Acquia Cloud CD pipelines is a tool for developing, testing, and deploying websites or other applications to Acquia Cloud. It enables you to:
- Manage your application's source code on third-party Git servers, and seamlessly deploy to Acquia Cloud.
- Use tools like Composer or Drush Make to assemble your application's components and dependencies automatically.
- Use technologies like Sass and Typescript to compile application source code.
- Control which developers or teams have access to change different parts of your application code base.
How Acquia Cloud CD pipelines works
Acquia Cloud CD pipelines executes instructions that you provide to transform application source code into a build artifact which can then be tested and deployed. Specifically:
- Acquia Cloud CD pipelines jobs are triggered by a commit or pull request to your connected code repository or, optionally, when you run the Acquia Pipelines command line client's
- Acquia Cloud CD clones the Git source repository and checks out the specified branch. Initially, the source repository for your application is its Acquia Cloud Git repository, but you can choose to use GitHub or Bitbucket repositories as the source.
- Acquia Cloud CD pipelines looks for a file named
/acquia-pipelines.ymlin YAML format in the selected Git branch and executes the instructions it finds there. These instructions can assemble your application from multiple code bases, transform source files into compiled files ready to deploy, and run tests. For more information, see Using a build definition file.
- If all of the instructions in the YAML build definition file succeed, Acquia Cloud commits all of the files and directories created by the instructions as a build artifact to a build branch in the target repository. Currently, the target repository is always the application's Acquia Cloud Git repository.
- You can view the results of each job with the Acquia Cloud CD pipelines user interface, the status posted to your pull request on your third-party code repository, and the
For a list of software available in your container, and resource limits on pipelines jobs, see Container resources.
Use the following general steps to start using Acquia Cloud's pipelines feature for your website development and testing: