Many websites need to forward their log files to a central location for processing and alerting. Acquia Cloud Enterprise customers with both an Elite subscription and an Acquia Technical Account Manager have access to a certain amount of this centralized aggregation for collectors by using TLS-based log forwarding.
Log forwarding is supported for remote destinations that support a generic Syslog destination. Acquia uses
syslog-ng, which uses TLS over TCP port 443. If you enable log forwarding, Acquia Cloud will forward all available logs to the remote destination.
If you want your logs forwarded to a remote destination, you must request that syslog forwarding be enabled by contacting Acquia support and providing the following information:
- IP address of the server to which the logs will be sent
- Port on which the remote server is listening
- Environment that you want forwarded
- CA certificate to use for encrypting traffic - The CA certificate can be either a self-signed or a valid certificate and must not require a password to unlock. The following is an example of the commands used to generate a CA certificate:
openssl genrsa -out acquia-ca.key 2048 && openssl req -x509 -new -nodes -key acquia-ca.key -days 1024 -subj "/C=US/ST=MA/L=Boston/O=Acquia/OU=My Website/CN=Acquia/[email protected]" -out acquia-ca.pem
Log forwarding is supported for a single endpoint. Changing your endpoint configuration will require a new ticket.
If log forwarding is enabled, Acquia Cloud will forward all of the generated logs for the following items:
- Apache error
- Drupal request
- Drupal watchdog
- FPM access
- FPM error
- PHP error
- Varnish (Only for websites with dedicated balancers. Logs from shared balancers are not supported. Forwarding Varnish logging is not enabled by default.)
With some configuration, Acquia supports the use of Splunk.
Download this example for information about how to set up an Acquia application and
inputs.conf file to use with Splunk services.
Although it may be possible for you to forward logs to your own custom endpoints, Acquia Support cannot provide any assistance with those attempts.