Drupal Commons now provides you and your users more avenues of communication by using activity streams. By creating status messages in their own or their friends' profiles' activity streams, users can communicate with others both publicly and privately without having to explicitly create formal content.
Along with user-created status messages, Drupal Commons can display a user's activity, including content creation and group membership changes. While Drupal Commons displayed a user's activity in the past (using the Heartbeat trigger), Drupal Commons now allows for rules to be created to explicitly determine the actions you want to track.
You can configure Drupal Commons to track several different kinds of user and group activity to display on the status wall.
- To open the admin menu, click the tool icon in the upper left corner of the page.
- From the admin menu, select Administer > Rules > Triggered rules. The Triggered rules page opens.
Use this page to manage the activity streams that Drupal Commons tracks and displays.
Viewing activity streams
Similar to Drupal Commons 1.6 and 1.7, to view a user's activity (including creating a blog entry, editing a wiki, or joining a group), open their user profile and inspect their status wall. You can see a group's activity stream by opening the group, and viewing the list of recent activities relating to the group.
Creating a status message
- Open your profile page.
- Note that your profile page has a blank text field with a Share button.
- Enter a status message. Your friends will see this message on their status wall and on your profile page.
- If you want to share a web link, click the link icon.
Enter the URL that you want to share. If more than one image appears for the link, click on the left/right arrows to select another image. If you don't want to display an image for the link, select the No thumbnail check box. To share the link, click Attach.
- If you want to share an image, click the image icon. To find an image on your computer, click Browse.
- Click Share.
The new status message appears on your profile page.
Sending messages to other users
- Open another user's profile page. To do this, select Community > Members from the primary links menu, browse to the user, and then click on their profile.
- Note that the profile page has a blank text field with a Share button.
- In the status field, enter a message you want to send to the user.
- To make this message only visible to you and and the user, select the Private check box.
- Click Share.
The new status message appears on the user's profile page.
Posting messages to a group
- Open the group page. To do this, select My stuff > My groups from the primary links menu, and then click the link for a group.
- Note that the group page has a blank text field with a Share button.
- Enter a status message.
- Click Share.
The new status message appears on the group page, as well as the profile page of any user that is a member of this group.