This page describes how to create a new Drupal website, starting from an existing website on your local computer.
If you already have a Drupal website you've been working on locally, you can import it into Acquia Dev Desktop. You can also follow this procedure:
- If you want to start with a Drupal distribution that isn't included with Acquia Dev Desktop, then you need to first download the Drupal distribution to your computer.
- If you have an existing Drupal website that's hosted elsewhere than on Acquia Cloud, then you need to first export your Drupal website to your computer.
If you are starting from a Drupal distribution or a Drupal website archive exported from another hosting environment, extract the website archive before you import the website into Acquia Dev Desktop.
Importing an existing website
To import an existing website into Acquia Dev Desktop, complete the following steps:
- Based on the options that Acquia Dev Desktop is currently providing to you, start the import process:
- Welcome to Acquia Dev Desktop dialog box (as described in Getting started) - Click Start with an existing Drupal site located on my computer.
- Default Acquia Dev Desktop interface - Click the + button, and then click Import local Drupal site.
- In the Import local Drupal site dialog box, enter the following information:
- Local codebase folder - Enter the local folder that contains your Drupal codebase (your local website's docroot).
- Local site name - Enter a name for your local website. The local website URL will be based on this name, so it can use only characters that are valid for a URL.
- Use PHP - Select a PHP version to use. Although you can accept the default PHP version, be aware that some Drupal distributions or modules may require specific PHP versions.
- Database - Specify how to set up the database for your Drupal website. If you're starting from scratch, select Create a new database. If you have content in your existing website's database that you want to import into Acquia Dev Desktop, import the existing website's database, as described in Importing a database.
- New database name - Enter a name for your Drupal website's database. In most cases, you can accept the default value, which will match the local website name that you chose.
- Click OK.