Acquia Dev Desktop 2
Current version: Acquia Dev Desktop - 27 July 2015 release
Acquia Dev Desktop is the fastest way to set up and run Drupal for local development on your Mac or Windows PC. It's an xAMP stack installer or "DAMP stack" installer, providing a full Drupal-specific stack that includes Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Using Acquia Dev Desktop is also the easiest method to publish, develop, and synchronize your local Drupal websites onto the Web, due to its integration with Acquia Cloud.
In just a few clicks, you can have a full Drupal website up and running on your computer using your choice of several popular Drupal distributions, or you can also install any other available Drupal distribution that you download. With a few more clicks, you can install more websites. You can use these websites to evaluate Drupal, add and test other Drupal components, workflows and functionality — and even get things wrong — without worrying about ruining a live, production website.
Acquia Dev Desktop is integrated with Acquia Cloud. You can export websites created in Acquia Dev Desktop into your Acquia Cloud subscription or make a local clone of your Acquia Cloud websites with a couple of clicks. Then, you can easily sync the local and Acquia Cloud versions of your websites, pushing changes up to the cloud and pulling them down to your local version. Get a free subscription to Acquia Cloud. However, using Acquia Dev Desktop with Acquia Cloud is not required; either can be used without the other.
Acquia Dev Desktop includes the following components:
|Apache HTTP Server||The world's most popular web server|
|MySQL Database Server||Percona Server, an enhanced version of MySQL, the world's most popular database server, with better performance, scalability, tunability, and instrumentation|
|PHP||The language that powers Drupal|
|Drush||A command-line shell and scripting interface for Drupal|
|phpMyAdmin||A popular in-browser database management tool|
|Acquia Dev Desktop application||In the Acquia Dev Desktop application, you can install and manage local Drupal websites and the Apache and MySQL servers used to host them — you can also host your Drupal websites in Acquia Cloud and synchronize between a local website and its Acquia Cloud version|
|XMail Server (Windows only)||Allows your locally installed website to send email directly, which is important for password reset, testing, and other functionality (Mac OS X includes this built-in functionality)|
What's new in Acquia Dev Desktop 2
Here is what's new in Acquia Dev Desktop 2:
- A new UI puts your websites first, and makes it easy to move from one website to another.
- The welcome wizard makes it easy to get started building your Drupal website locally, starting with Drupal distributions, any Drupal website on your local machine, or any Drupal website hosted on Acquia Cloud.
- Install popular Drupal distributions with just a couple of clicks. New versions of these Drupal distributions are available through Acquia Dev Desktop as soon as they are released.
- You don't need to upgrade Acquia Dev Desktop to access the latest Drupal distributions, and when you do upgrade Acquia Dev Desktop, all your existing local websites are preserved.
- Take advantage of the optional integration with Acquia Cloud to:
- Publish local websites to Acquia Cloud for scalable hosting, team development, dev and stage environments, and Git workflow. This even works for Acquia Cloud Free.
- Clone any of your Acquia Cloud websites to work on them off-line in Dev Desktop. You can clone any website from any of your Acquia Cloud environments (Dev, Stage, or Prod or custom environments if you have any).
- Make any code, database, or file change on Acquia Cloud or your local machine and then click to synchronize them. You can pull or push your code, database or files between Acquia Cloud and the local website running in Dev Desktop.
- Add modules to your local file system and then click Push code to add those modules to your Acquia Cloud website without ever learning Git. Drop into Git if desired for more complex operations.
- Take advantage of Drupal multisite for local or Acquia Cloud websites so you can maintain one codebase that runs multiple websites using different databases and associated files.
Getting started with Acquia Dev Desktop
Read how to:
- Install Acquia Dev Desktop on your computer.
- Upgrade from Acquia Dev Desktop v.1.
- Create websites in Acquia Dev Desktop
For additional information: