Starting with an existing local site
This page describes how to create a new Drupal site, starting from an existing site on your local computer.
If you already have a Drupal site you've been working on locally, you can import it into Acquia Dev Desktop. You can also follow this procedure:
- If you want to start with a Drupal distribution that isn't included with Acquia Dev Desktop, then you need to first download the Drupal distribution to your computer.
- If you have an existing Drupal site that's hosted elsewhere than on Acquia Cloud, then you need to first export your Drupal site to your computer.
- If you have an existing Drupal Gardens site that you want to move out of Drupal Gardens, then you need to first export your Drupal Gardens site to your computer.
If you are starting from a Drupal distribution or a Drupal site archive exported either from Drupal Gardens or from another hosting environment, extract the site archive before you import the site into Acquia Dev Desktop.
Importing an existing site
To import an existing site into Acquia Dev Desktop:
- Click the + button, and select Import local Drupal site. If you are starting from the Welcome window shown in Getting started, you skip this step.
- In the Import local Drupal site dialog, do the following:
- Enter the local folder that contains your Drupal codebase (your local site's docroot).
- Enter a name for your local site. The local site URL will be based on this name, so it can use only characters that are valid for a URL.
- Select a PHP version to use. You can accept the default PHP version; however, some Drupal distributions or modules may require specific PHP versions.
- Specify how to set up the database for your Drupal site. If you're starting from scratch, select Create a new database. If you have content in your existing site's database that you want to import into Acquia Dev Desktop, import the existing site's database, as described in Importing a database.
- Enter a name for your Drupal site's database. In most cases, you can accept the default value, which will match the local site name you chose.
- Click OK.