Acquia Journey uses journey maps to allow you to plan your integrations at a high level, and model data flows from inputs, decision processing, and outputs. Each decision point is represented by a node in the journey map. You can associate one or more metrics or goals with each node in your customer journey map.
You can build journey maps from scratch, or you can use a predefined Jumpstart template provided by your system administrator.
Creating a new journey
To create a customer journey for your project, perform the following steps:
- Sign in to your Acquia Journey account.
- Click the Journey Mapper icon on the card for the project that you want to modify.
- Depending on if you have already created a journey for the project, complete the appropriate procedure:
- If this is your first journey for this project, the Add New Journey tab opens.
- If a journey already exists for this project, click the Options menu in the upper left corner. and choose Create New to open the Add New Journey tab.
- Provide a name and description for your journey, and then click Create New Item.
The Journey Mapper user interface
The Journey Mapper interface allows you to create and annotate customer journeys in a free-form manner. The Journey Mapper also allows metrics to be created and associated with journey elements, and for journey elements to be associated with graphs.
The Journey Mapper displays a canvas in the left side of the window, and a panel with tabs for Design and Execution modes on the right. To select a mode, click Design or Execution.
The panel contains several panes, which can each be expanded to fill the full right-hand column by clicking on the Expand icon in the top right of a pane. To collapse the pane, click the Collapse icon.
In Design mode, the panel on the right contains the following panes:
- Edit Map - For editing the journey's name and description
- Step - Contains possible steps to assist with the journey
In Execution mode, the panel on the right contains the following panes:
- The Journey Name and Description pane
- The Journey Execution pane
- The Metrics pane
Drawing and annotating journeys
Adding a journey step
In Design mode, add a new journey step by performing the following steps:
- Clicking and dragging
- Point to the default Pencil icon.
- When the grab arrow appears, click and drag it away from the Pencil icon.
- Right-clicking the canvas
- Right-click inside the white Journey Mapper canvas, and select Add Step to Journey.
Adding a style to a journey step
A style is a visual representation of a step in a journey, and enhance the readability of your journey. Styles include:
- Social Media
To add a style journey step, perform the following steps:
- Right-click the step's icon, and then click Apply New Style to Step.
- In the Apply Style dialog box, click the icon of the desired style.
- Click Apply.
Connecting steps in a journey
After creating a new step and adding an action to it, connect it to existing steps in the journey by performing the following actions:
- Click the existing step in your canvas you want to connect to your new step. A grab arrow will appear to the right of the step icon.
- Click and drag the grab arrow to the new step.
- Release the mouse button when your mouse pointer is inside the new step's icon.
- An arrow will appear, connecting the steps together.
To delete the connection between two steps, right-click the arrow, and then click Delete Link.
Deleting a journey step
To delete a step, right-click the step's icon, and then click Delete Step.
Customizing a step's appearance
To customize a step's icon or colors, perform the following actions while in Design mode:
- Click the icon you wish to change.
- The Customize Journey Step pane will appear in the right-hand panel.
- In the Customize Journey Step pane, click the Pencil icon next to the attribute you wish to customize.
- Perform the desired changes.
- Click the Save Changes to Step icon before de-selecting the step in the Journey Mapper.
To customize the Step Name or Description of a step, perform the following actions:
- Click the icon you wish to change.
- The Edit Step pane will appear in the right-hand panel.
- In the Edit Step pane, make your desired changes.
- Click the Save Changes to Step button before de-selecting the step in the Journey Mapper.
Displaying icon names
The Journey Map can display only the journey icons, or icons and the name of each step. To display step names in addition to icons, click the Show Step Names icon at the top right of the canvas.
Click the icon again to hide step names.
Customizing links between steps
To make connections between steps easier to understand, you can add custom text, colors, and icons to the arrows connecting journey steps together:
To add explanatory text on the arrows between each step, perform the following actions:
- Click the arrow you want to customize.
- The Edit Journey Link pane will appear in the right-hand panel.
- Edit the Link Name and Link Description.
- Click Save Changes to Link.
To change the color of an arrow, or add a small icon on the arrow itself, perform the following actions:
- Click the arrow that you want to customize.
- The Customize Journey Link pane will appear in the right-hand panel.
- Click the pencil icon next to the attribute that you want to change, and then make your desired changes.
- To save your changes, click the save icon .