Experience Builder allows you to both track the behavior of your website's visitors and customize your content to match their interests. You can then test your visitors' reactions to this customized content to ensure that your marketing strategy is working. For more information, see Planning your A/B testing or Types of personalizations in Acquia Lift.
In Acquia Lift, a rule is a set of customized content targeted toward a particular audience, designed to prompt the defined audience to take specific actions on your website.
The first step in creating rules in Experience Builder is defining a slot. A slot is an area on your website that you configure to be able to display A/B tests or targeted content. After you create a slot, you can drag and drop content variations into it to create rules.
Creating a slot
To create a slot, complete the following steps:
- Sign in to your website as an administrative user with content personalization management rights.
- Activate the Experience Builder sidebar.
- On the Create tab, click the Slots tab. Experience Builder displays a list of available slots on this page. If there are no available slots, Experience Builder displays the message There are no slots on this page. Add a slot to begin customizing your website's experience.
- To add a new slot, click Create new slot. Experience Builder displays a dialog box.
- In the Slot Name field, enter a name that describes this slot's purpose (for example, Frontpage Banner).
- In the Slot Pages field, enter the paths for the pages where you want this slot to display, one page per line. Experience Builder displays the domain on which you are running Profile Manager above the Slot Pages field. By default, this field displays the path of the page that you are currently visiting.
- Click Create Slot.
Experience Builder displays an Embed Code dialog box that contains the code that you can use to place this slot on your webpage. You can use the Copy to clipboard link to copy the embed code, which you can then paste and save in your website's code. This code can be applied to elements such as
- Click Save.
Experience Builder displays the new slot in the following locations:
- In the Slots tab
- On the webpage where you have created it
Highlight Slot On/Off - This setting allows you to move between previewing your website and manipulating content in a selected slot. When slot highlighting is on, Experience Builder displays your slot with a border. In this state, it is not possible to navigate around your webpage and click links. When slot highlighting is off, you can click links, navigate around your webpage and see the slot as it appears to your website visitors. Highlighting remains on until it is turned off by clicking Off or by collapsing the sidebar. Navigating to the Slots tab automatically turns highlighting On.
After you have added all your desired slots, you can use rules to determine the content variations that you want to appear in your slots.
Managing your slots
Depending on your needs, you can edit existing slots, or remove them from your website if they are no longer needed. Each slot lists all the different pages of your website the slot will be embedded on. By default, the current page you are viewing is always entered in the field. Additional pages are included in a new line break using the relative path to the current page.
If you have not embedded the slot code in a page — for example, if you have created a slot with multiple pages added, but have not added the code to the pages yet — the slot displays a warning message:
Slot code not found on page. Click Configure to obtain the embed code or Delete to remove the slot from the page.
If a slot is defined in a single node on a single page, and that node is deleted, the slot will no longer appear in the user interface. It may appear as if though the slot has also been deleted — however, the slot information still exists in the database and is accessible using the API. If you recreate a node with the same path, the slot information will again be displayed in the user interface.
Editing your slots
To edit a slot, complete the following steps:
- Click the Create > Slots tab.
- Click Configure to make changes.
- Click Save to save your changes or Cancel to discard changes.
Deleting your slots
To delete a slot, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to the page where the slot exists.
- Click the Slots tab.
- Find the slot you want to remove, and click Delete.
- If there are rules associated with the slot, they will be deleted as well. Experience Builder displays a confirmation box displaying the number of associated rules. Click Delete to confirm deletion.
If you have embedded HTML paragraph tags in your embed code and you delete a slot, the embedded HTML will no longer display on the webpage, with or without slot highlighting enabled. This causes the embedded HTML to be hidden from view.
Next, you will need to create rules to place content in these slots.
Adding CSS to a slot
It is possible to add additional styling to a slot's content. You can specify an external stylesheet to be loaded into a slot by adding a data attribute on the slot's
<div>. Adding external CSS is primarily useful for untrusted slots that render inside of an iframe, and therefore need the external CSS. To learn more about trusted and untrusted modes, see Content replacement modes.
<div data-lift-slot="my-slot-id" data-lift-css="http://mysite.com/custom_slot.css"></div>
Creating a customizable slot